The Journal Project

Sharing lives through the process and art of journal keeping.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lubbock, TX

Monday, July 10, 2006

Let's Get This Party Started

Okay, it's time. I apologize for the delay. Life started feeling a bit overwhelming--work, parenting, blogging, this project--and I pretty much shut all my systems down except for those that were absolutely essential for basic functioning. Once things started to slow down again I still needed a couple weeks to recuperate. I think I'm finally ready to give some last minute instructions and then get these bad boys in the mail.

Everyone seemed to like the idea proposed in the last post. Two journals. One starting at the top, working its ways down; the other starting at the bottom, working its way up. Once you receive the journal you are to make a journal entry (as long or as short as you like--no specific theme) and then mail the journal to the next person on the list. In order to obtain the next participants address either contact them by commenting on their blog or by e-mailing them. For those few who don't have a blog, contact me. I believe I have all their e-mail addresses. If you run into any questions, concerns, or suggestions along the way let me know. Also, don't forget about the pre-paid envelopes if you would like to participate in that portion of the project, or if you need to use one please feel free to do so. If you don't remember exactly how it's all going to unfold you can review the game plan by reading the previous post.

Now to answer some questions and offer some suggestions:

No, there isn't any particular theme so feel free to journal about whatever you feel like saying. I will include a few prompts with the journal just in case. There also isn't any specific layout. My style is just to write in between the lines until I feel like I've said all I need to say. Many of you use a little more color and creativity than I do. Feel free to do that as well. The idea is to capture all the range of issue, topics, and styles that each of us bring to journaling. I've purchased fairly large journals (400 pages) so if a page or two needs to be skipped to accommodate any art work (bleeding colors, etc.) we should be able to handle that.

Melba brought it to my attention that there is a special, less expensive, shipping rate for books. This is true. The last time I went to mail a book I requested the media rate and the cost was almost half. Keep this in mind when you head to the post office with our little treasures.

Another blogger suggested we all take some time to get to know each other by visiting the blogs surrounding your name. I think this is a great idea. I know many of you already read a lot of blogs so I don't want to make it mandatory but it is an excellent idea. It further strengthens the community we are already building. If you'd like, take some time to visit some of the bloggers you're not familiar with (especially if it's someone directly above or below your name--you'll be contacting them for mailing information.) This is also a helpful suggestion seeing as how it may take some time for the journals to make their rounds. We can be working on building our relationships while waiting for the journals to arrive at each of our front doors.

Another blogger suggested we scan the pages just in case... This is something to take into consideration. Unfortunately things do get lost in the mail. I don't have a scanner but if any of you do and you don't mind scanning it from time to time as it makes its journey that might not be a bad idea.

Well my friends, unless there isn't anything else I guess this should cover everything. I want to get one of those map thingies up on the sidebar so that we will be able to track the progress of the journals and know exactly where they are. More details on this when I have that up and running. In the meantime, relax and have fun with this. It is our project so anything that comes up along the way needs to be shared with everyone. When the journal does show up in your mailbox try not to be too stressed out about it. Breathe and just write whatever comes to mind. Of course I say that but the honest truth is when I sat down to make my entry in the red journal it was harder than I thought. Knowing people were actually going to read it changed the dynamic. As much as I wanted it to be natural and normal there was this little piece of me that knew someone else was going to read it. I felt a little bit of resistance that I just had to work through. Please share your experiences and thoughts along the way. I'll try and publish some of those from time to time as the project unfolds.

While the journals are making their way around the globe I want to use this blog as a place to share journal prompts and journal experiences. Stay tuned for additional updates (hopefully a little more regularly than they have been...)

Finally, please check the sidebar one last time to ensure you are present and your link (if you have one) works. If there are any errors let me know. Remember, I've been feeling overwhelmed with life. That can always lead to increased errors on my part.

I hope to make it to the post office either Wednesday or Thursday and the journals will be off....

In the meantime, happy journaling...and let me know if there are any questions or if I haven't explained things adequately.

Love,
me

8 Comments:

Blogger Turquoise CRO said...

Wooooo Hooooo! Let the Journaling BEGIN! Ladies! Start your engines, your brains, whatever!!!! This is soooooo EXCITING!!! I will let everyone know on my Blog the second it arrives!!!in West(By God) Virginia!!! xoxoooxoxoo ps. WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! lol Thanks! again Michelle! love and prayers

2:45 PM  
Blogger catherine james said...

Just an FYI--my journal link is listed three times on The Journal Project's home page and while I'm extremely flattered for the multiple links [ :) ] I don't want to screw up the mailing of journals just because of my ego.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous hundred and one said...

Wooo hooo! How exciting. I can't wait.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous samantha said...

Yay! I am excited and hopeful that this will be a fun creative exercise. Thanks for getting it off the ground and inspiring us!

2:29 PM  
Blogger my pink sky said...

so excited!!!

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Marilyn said...

Michelle, this is a fabulous project...and quite an undertaking. So kudos to you for making it happen (with your life plate already so full). Just one question: is the list in the sidebar the one we're working from? The names directly above and below mine don't appear to have blogs, so I'm guessing I'll need an address for one of them when the time comes. :)

4:15 PM  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Can't wait to get it -- write, everyone, write!

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it too late to join in?
Clare

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home