The Journal Project

Sharing lives through the process and art of journal keeping.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lubbock, TX

Monday, July 31, 2006

Journal Prompt/Discussion 2

First some house cleaning:

Both of the participants I sent the journals to have said they have received them. And both reported being a little intimidated about writing in them. I felt the same way. There's a different dynamic present when you know someone else is going to read your words. But hey, perfect journal material right? As you receive the journals please share your thoughts and experiences. Jennifer suggested each participant make a post briefly describing/sharing their experience. That sounds fabulous! I'm not sure I know how to do this. Do I need to give the log in information to each blogger or is there a way to make this an open post blog? Do participants need to e-mail me their story and then I post it? Some of you may have experience in this area. Please pass along any information I might need to know in order to make this happen.

Melba mentioned a different shipping method that is a bit cheaper than mine. According to her it's cheaper to mail the journal in a priority flat rate envelope. The envelope is free and it is a flat rate of $4.04 mailed anywhere in the continental US. Keep this in mind.

Finally, if the participant above or below you doesn't have a blog link I do have their e-mail addresses. When you get to that point simply e-mail me and I'll get the necessary address information.

Journal Prompt 2:

This is a prompt you can take and use as a springboard for some journal writing. Take it and use it any way you'd like. Let it take you a little deeper into yourself.

Last week Marilyn left a wonderful comment about a quote she had discovered. I want to post the quote here and use it as this week's journal prompt. This quote is taken from WRITE YOUR HEART OUT - EXPLORING & EXPRESSING WHAT MATTERS TO YOU by Rebecca McClanahan.

"Whichever type of journal you choose to keep--a record of a passage as it's occurring or a record of your internal journey to understand the completed event--the writing process is the same...Either way you will have recorded one of the stories of your life--a story with a beginning, middle, and end, even if the end seems to have no firm ending and the passage is one you must keep negotiating and renegotiating."

What does this quote say to you about your journaling experience, especially the part that caught Marilyn's eye--the fact that there may be no firm ending and it is something you must continually renegotiate.


Discussion Question 2:

These discussions questions are something that you can use in your journal but it's also something I'd like to see you respond to in the comments. It's an opportunity to bounce our thoughts and experiences off of each other and build community as we're waiting for the journals to make their rounds.

What is your journaling story? How did you get started? What has journal keeping meant to you?

Happy journaling! Keep sharing your stories! More to come...
me.

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Love this! I've been writing a journal since I was 14 or 15 (half my life now!). I started because my mom suggested I use it as a way to deal with my anxieties, a way to put things down on paper and purge them from my mind or see how unrealistic I was being. She writes one too. It's become a vital place for me to write my thoughts, my happenings, my memories, and my lessons learned and everything else in between. I went away traveling for a few years and have about 15 different journals to go back and read and re-live all of those experiences. Photos are great, but for me, my journal is going to be the record of my life. I think everyone should have one. A place where you are free to be yourself, totally and completely without judgement.

3:00 PM  
Blogger my pink sky said...

the red journal is with me...just digesting my thoughts...

7:56 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Journaling has always been a way for me to open up my inner most thoughts to myself and get them down on paper. However now through the world of computers and blogs, journaling has allowed me to see that so many others share the same fears, worries, have the same desires, and are going through the same things as me. It makes me feel not so alone, not so strange, and it encourages me to keep on going. I really think this online community is such a wonderful thing. It also has been very pleasing to my eyes due to the enormous amount of beautiful pictures which so many of you post :)

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home